On Friday we round up the salary trends, career stories and job news that you may have missed during the past week.
- This Sunday, minimum wage workers in eight states will receive a pay increase. Washington State's minimum wage will increase to $9.04 per hour, making it the highest in the country.
- We often see an influx of hiring in the months of January and February, so the new year is a great time to find a new job. Make a career resolution to get out there, network and find your dream job in 2012.
- Earlier this week, Sears and Kmart announced the closing of 79 stores in the US. The states that will be hit the hardest are Florida (11 stores closing,) Michigan, and Ohio (six stores closing.)
- You might think that in order to earn a good salary, a four year degree is necessary. Turns out, there are jobs that really pay off, but only require a two year degree. Two year degrees that really pay off.
- Do you use terms like "Reaching out" and "Internalise?" Well, you might be committing a meeting faux pas. Business Insider has the ten most annoying management terms of 2011.
- Sites like LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook are good for networking, but the downside is your boss might be able to see what you're posting. If you're looking for a job in the new year, while still at your current job, you might need to take some extra steps to hide your tracks.
- And the weirdest story this week goes to gamer "Dave" and PAX vs. Ocean Marketting (yes, with two ts.) This is a prime example of what not to do when working in customer service and representing a brand. If you have yet to hear about this story, sit back and get comfortable, as it's a long one.