Every Friday we round up the salary trends, career stories and job news that you may have missed during the past week.
- Most of us have been taught that to be a good employee, one should never rock the boat and never, ever make waves. Think you know the rules to career success? These work rules you should break will make you think again.
- When your focus is on a coworker, you lose the focus on yourself. This makes your work suffer and creates an internal environment that will only set you up for failure. Learn how envy destroys career advancement so you can prevent this unsavory feeling before it starts.
- Sure, putting on your headphones and blocking the outside world from your mind sounds like a good idea, but depending on your job, you might want to be sure there's instrumental music on the other end. That's right -- your music selection could determine whether headphones help or hinder productivity.
- Are you underpaid? Is it time to negotiate a salary increase? If so, you might want to check this out first. Discover nine things you shouldn't do when asking for a raise.
- For decades, men have had the upper hand in the corporate world. A recent study suggests, however, that male bosses' mistakes are penalized more severely in some industries than women's mistakes.
More From Payscale What Music Should You Listen to At Work? [infographic] Men vs. Women: Which Gender's Offices Harbor More Germs? How to Spot Overworked Employees [infographic]
(Photo credit: Shinealight