First-day job jitters can get the best of even seasoned professionals; SavvySugar's five tips for your first day at work will help you start your new gig on the right foot.
- Dress the part. Err towards being overdressed -- that's far better than showing up underdressed in terms of setting a professional tone.
- Take notes. You'll likely be inundated with information. Write tips, strategies and any other helpful tidbits down so you don't forget them later.
- Get ready to remember a lot of names. Try time-tested memorization tactics like visualization, rhyming, repetition, identity association and writing them down. If all that fails, don't be afraid to ask the person to repeat his or her name.
- Ask questions. Pick your colleagues' brains while you have the benefit of their time. Doing so shows that you're focused on doing good work and are engaged with the company.
- Stay observant. Watch and learn -- your eyes and ears are your best allies in terms of assimilating into your new work environment.
What tips would you add to this list?
More From Payscale 5 Tips on Career-Switching Do Knowledge and Skills No Longer Influence Professional Success? How to Manage Millennials [infographic]
(Photo credit: Bark