Simple actions like changing your body language, from frowning to smiling or slouching to sitting up straight, can help release serotonin in your brain, which eases tension. Your brain will also produce dopamine and norepinephrine, which allow you to get focused and boost your productivity levels.
However, changing your mood and overall disposition isn't an easy task. It's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life and let all the stress get to you. Sometimes, people can go an entire day without even cracking a smile. The trick is to really be determined and to start small. Force yourself to smile throughout the day -- this simple action will change your entire demeanor and enlighten your mood.
If you are having a particularly negative day, here are nine ways to find some positivity and ultimately boost your productivity.
- Smile: Take a short break to go for a walk and just smile at the strangers you pass.
- Dance: Turn up some fun music and have your own little 5-minute dance party.
- Watch YouTube: Watch a funny video, or even cute pet videos.
- Talk to yourself: Pace around your office and recite positive and empowering affirmations.
- Sing: Play your favorite song and sing it out loud. Sing to your pets, kids -- just have fun!
- Exercise: Do jumping jacks or jog around your office, with a smile on your face.
- Call a friend: Call someone you care about and say, "I love you."
- Yell: Let out a loud "woohoo" to get your productive juices flowing.
- Be grateful: What are two things you are grateful for? Think about them with a smile.
Tell Us What You Think
We want to hear from you! How do you find positivity to stay productive? Share your thoughts on Twitter or in the comments!
More from PayScale
3 Productivity Tips for Lazy People
How to Become a Productivity Expert
Is Being a Workaholic Hindering Your Productivity?
(Photo credit: © michaeljung - Fotolia.com)