#PayChat Roundup: Millennials at Work
Today’s youngest generation of workers have skills, education, and technical savvy that employers need, but suffer from high rates of unemployment and underemployment, as well as fierce competition from older workers for coveted jobs. Today, PayScale hosted a Twitter discussion, together with Jessica Miller-Merrell, SPHR, founder of Blogging4Jobs.com, to talk about what Millennials want at work — and what’s standing in their way.
(Photo Credit: Tax Credits/Flickr)
First things first: if you’re unfamiliar with #PayChat, you can brush up here. Today’s chat lasted about 30 minutes, and focused on the following questions:
1. How has the recession affected Millennials?
2. How do their struggles to launch their careers compare to previous generations?
3. Why do Millennials job hop more frequently than previous generations?
4. What motivates Millennials to do their best work? How does this differ from Gen Xers and Baby Boomers?
5. Do you have any advice for Millennials entering the workforce?
Here are a few highlights from the discussion:
#PayChat happens on the last Wednesday of every month at 10:30 a.m. (PST). Feedback is always appreciated. If you have a topic that you would like us to discuss in a future #PayChat, please share it on Twitter or in the comment section below.
Tell Us What You Think
Are you a Gen Y worker? We want to hear from you! Leave a comment or join the discussion on Twitter.