5 At-Home Business Ideas for Stay-at-Home Parents
Childcare is expensive, but so is opting out of your career to be a stay-at-home parent. If you want to leave the rat race, but keep investing in your professional development (and 401k), starting your own at-home business might be the answer. Becoming your own boss doesn’t have to be scary — actually, it can be enjoyable and empowering at the same time.
(Photo Credit: Mike Licht/Flickr)
These are just a few options for parents who want to work from home.
1. Blogger – Writers unite! Whether you want to start your own blog or contribute to someone else’s, blogging is a great way to keep your brain keen and put money in the bank. The best part about being a blogger is the flexible schedule, so you can work after your kid(s) go to bed. The potential income isn’t too shabby, either. Bloggers earn a median salary of $37,059, which will come in handy at bill time.
2. Virtual Assistant/Virtual Bookkeeper – In today’s digital age, virtual occupations are becoming more popular. Not only is hiring an virtual (or remote) worker a more economical option for employers, studies show that remote workers are also more productive and happier than those who report to an office on a daily basis. Virtual assistants pull in a median wage of $15/hour, and virtual bookkeepers estimate about $30/hour to $70/hour, depending on their qualifications and availability. If virtual work seems like your cup of tea, then look at sites such as Elance, Upwork (formerly oDesk), or LinkedIn.
3. Designer – Do you have web design skills or graphic design skills? Many businesses and startups could really use your services to get their marketing materials up to par. If you can only commit to smaller, one-off projects like a logo design, check out sites like Fivrr and GigBucks to get a few projects under your belt.
4. Consultant – Quite often, parents leave the working world to raise their children, but end up feeling guilty for wanting to return to their once-thriving careers. One way to fill the need to utilize the skills that you once used to pave a promising career path, while still being there for your child(ren), is to start a consulting business from home. Depending on your area of expertise and experience, you could pull in an impressive salary. Below are the median salaries for a few types of consultants:
Sales Consultant: $47,536
Business Consultant: $67,259
IT Consultant: $70,991
Management Consultant: $86,459
5. Crafter/DIYer – If you are fortunate enough to be a decent crafter or DIYer, then you might consider selling your handmade goods online and generating an income that way. Etsy makes opening an online store easy-peasy, and the site’s popularity is only growing — check out one Etsy shop owner’s inspiring story, here. A great way to gain momentum and some followers online is to post your products on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Think you’re past your prime for the entrepreneurial world? Think again. Mary Kay Ash started Mary Kay cosmetics at the seasoned age of 45 years old. World-renowned author, J.K. Rowling was a single mother on welfare until the age of 31, when she penned the outrageously successful Harry Potter series. For more inspiring stories about entrepreneurs who took the leap of faith later in life, check out this infographic by Funders and Founders.
Tell Us What You Think
Have you started a successful at-home business while being a stay-at-home parent? Share your inspiring story with our community on Twitter.