5 Quotes That Will Inspire You to Keep Chasing Your Dreams
If only we could all go back in time and be the fearless children we once were. Maybe – just maybe – we would have the courage to chase our wildest dreams in our lives as adults. There’s no doubt that life hardens us all over time and causes even the best of us to give in to the pressures of “making something” of ourselves. Along the way, our childlike glee seems to fade as we lose focus on what truly makes us happy in life. Instead, it’s easy to end up following someone else’s dreams and not our own. Here are five quotes that will hopefully convince you that it’s not too late to go after your dreams, no matter how wild and crazy they may seem.
(Photo Credit: Morgan Sessions/Unsplash)
1. Motivation: The many obstacles you’ve probably already faced in your career can be enough to make you want to throw in the towel for good, but once a quitter, always a quitter. This quote will help you remember to not let the rough patches in life make you lose focus:
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar
2. Courage: When the going gets touch, the tough get courage. Therefore, when life knocks you down, the best thing to do is muster up the courage to get back on your own two feet and keep forging forward.
“Courage is not something that you already have that makes you brave when the tough times start. Courage is what you earn when you’ve been through the tough times and you discover they aren’t so tough after all.” – Malcolm Gladwell, David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants (Inc.com)
3. Strength: There are going to be many naysayers along the way in your career, so you’re going to want to build up the strength and confidence to stick to your guns and ignore the noise. No one said following your dreams would be easy, but it’s definitely worth its weight in gold when you reach your goal.
“Whenever you’re trying to do something new in the world, if you’re trying to create any kind of meaningful change, especially change that will help the world, you have to expect resistance. Resistance comes in the form of ridicule. It comes in the form of rejection. It comes in the form of self-doubt. It’s your job to keep going.” – Danae Ringlemann, Founder and Chief Development Officer of Indiegogo (Foundr Magazine)
4. Failure: Fall down seven times, stand up eight. The more times you stand up, the easier it is to brush it off and recovery the next time around. Consider failure as a means to an end and a necessary component of success.
“With time and enough failures under your belt, it makes you immune (almost, nonchalant) to the uncertainties and risks involved in running a real business. You learn to take longer strides outside your comfort zone, believing everything has a way of working itself out. You learn to acknowledge and regard failure as a strength and not a weakness.” – Rohan Chandrashekhar, CEO of BUZZVALUE (Huffington Post)
5. Risk: Success is all about taking risks – the greater the risk, the greater the reward. No one said it was easy stepping out of your comfort zone, but how else do you expect to achieve greatness if you don’t put yourself out there?
“[R]ather than avoiding the risk of trying, avoid the risk of not trying. Nothing is more haunting than thinking, ‘I wish I had…’.” – Tim Westergren, Founder and Chief Strategy Officer at Pandora (Fast Company)
Sometimes a little inspiration goes a long way, especially when you hit a lull in your career. Let the words of wisdom above serve as fuel to catapult you towards your wildest dreams – and, remember, if your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough. So, get out there and go get ’em, tiger!
Tell Us What You Think
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received in your life? Share your story with our community on Twitter or in the comments section below.