Got a minute?
Got a minute?
If you're feeling less-than-fulfilled by your job, you're not alone: only 13 percent of us are engaged at work. Everyone else is waiting for Friday (and hoping against hope that this weekend, like most, won't be consumed by work emails). Why are things so bad for so many?
Finding a college professor to mentor you may not be easy, unless you’re a white male or at least appear to be one by name alone. In a recent study of more than 6,500 professors at the top 250 schools, researchers found that professors were more likely to deny opportunities to women and minorities -- a bias that appears after only knowing a student's name. This is especially evident in faculty linked to more lucrative professions.
Want to work at the company that brought you next-day shoe delivery and free returns? You'll have to join Zappos Insiders, the organization's new social network dedicated to networking with current and future Zappos employees. In fact, The Wall Street Journal reports, the social network will be the only way to get hired for one of the estimated 450 jobs the online retailer expects to fill this year.
Being overpaid is probably not something you've ever spent much time worrying about. After all, real wages are down 7.7 percent, compared with 2006 numbers, and 23 percent of workers were laid off at some point during the recession. Earning too little seems more likely -- and more dire -- than earning too much. So should you even worry about being overpaid, in the first place?
If you've been going on a lot of job interviews, but not getting many actual offers, it's possible that you're psyching yourself out -- in which case, Laura Donovan at Hello Giggles might have the answer to your problems.
What if your boss accidentally forwarded your vacation request to your entire company? That's what happened to security officer Greg Heaslip, when he emailed his line manager at retail chain Arcadia Group in the U.K. BuzzFeed reports that Heaslip's request went out to 3,500 staff members. And then all heck broke loose.
Remember that character from Seinfeld who spoke of himself in the third person? "Jimmy likes Elaine." "Jimmy thinks the opera is great." And so on. It turns out that Jimmy was on to something we can all use to reduce stress and improve motivation and, therefore, productivity.
Many of us are our own worst critic, and our careers suffer as a result. It's hard enough to hear negative self-talk when you're going about your business after work, but listen to bad internal chatter during your work day, and you'll start to have trouble hitting your professional goals.
Over 70 percent of college seniors carry student loan debt. The average amount owed? $29,400 per borrower. For an entering first-year student, who might never have earned more than minimum wage at an after school job, that's an incomprehensible amount of money.
If you're thinking about getting an MBA, you've probably seen a lot of lists that rank the best business schools in the country. The problem is, none of those lists help you figure out which school or program is the best match for your specific needs. Launched in February 2014, BestMatch aims to help students see past the brand names and the hype to find the MBA program that will give them the career they want.
Only 13 percent of workers around the world are engaged at work, according to a recent Gallup poll. If you're part of the other 87 percent, today's #PayChat was made for you.
For the vast majority of workers, the everyday office chair is just fine. With a few twirls and adjustments, most employees can make the standard equipment ergonomically sound. For the very tall and the very short among us, however, setting up an office environment is an exercise in making do.
Thanks! We'll send you a welcome newsletter as soon as we can.
In the meantime, check out our research center.
Looks like your email already exists in our database.
Please log in here.
You are already logged in.