Industrial products sales representatives are primarily responsible for selling industrial products to either specific types of individuals (such as members of a particular profession) or companies within a defined geographic region. These sales representatives work in a variety of fields, including industrial manufacturing, industrial supply production, and industrial distribution.
Industrial products sales representatives perform several duties as a part of their role. These sales representatives spend much of their time attempting to solicit new sales customers and developing relationships with potential customers, both remotely and in person. Meeting potential customers in person requires some amount of traveling within representatives’ defined regions. They must research potential customers, contact them, and then persuade them to make an order. Following the sales agreement, representatives must process the payment, create a sales order, and arrange for delivery of the industrial product. Sales representatives develop ongoing relationships with their customers to facilitate future sales. They must also be aware of industry trends and competitors’ products to remain competitive.
Depending on the sophistication of the industrial products being sold, educational requirements for the position vary. If company training is sufficient to familiarize new sales representatives with the product, usually a high school diploma or equivalent is required. More advanced product sales often require a bachelor’s degree in a related field. Many aptitudes are necessary for success as an industrial product sales representative. These include mechanical aptitude sufficient to understand products and excellent communication, relationship-building, and other interpersonal skills to foster sales relationships. Good sales representatives are also usually highly internally motivated, highly competitive, and good team workers.
Sales Representative, Industrial Product Tasks
- Attend special training of products or services to understand technical aspects of solutions.
- Sell the organization's technical products to established customers or develop new prospects within assigned territory.
- Build relationships and identify the prospect's need for the products or services.
- Prepare and maintain records for sales leads and progress status of accounts.
- Emphasize product features based on analyses of customers' needs, and on technical knowledge of product capabilities.