What do you wish you knew about your job when you first started out?
Financial Officer in Ottawa:
"You Don't Live To Work But Have A Job So You Can Live."
The information you have in your head does NOT make you indispensable to your company. But being a team player and a supporter and following the guidelines below usually ensures that management WANTS to have you on the Team.
- Ask lots of questions.
- Make and take notes.
- Don't assume you know everything about what you do. Even if you have been doing it a long time.
- When being asked about work you have done, don't rely on your memory. Always take time to validate your response before giving your answer.
- Don't be afraid to speak up.
- Share ideas. Never assume that your idea(s) won't work or that someone else has a better idea.
- Change is good even if it is only change for the sake of change sometimes. It will at the very least keep you awake.
- You don't have to be the Captain but BE a team player on your team.
- Use at least some of vacation time FOR vacation.
- Be willing to stretch or bend because the alternative is not pleasant.
- Choose your battles.