The director of sales and marketing is the high-level manager that oversees a sales and marketing department of a business. They supervise the sales, marketing, and public relations departments of businesses. These directors also are expected to improve the performance in sales and effectiveness in marketing and advertising. Another area in which a director of sales and marketing spends much the day is managing the department. They must hire and train a knowledgeable, professional, and talented sales and marketing staff, as well as determine the best way to motivate their team and increase productivity.
Directors of sales and marketing may have a bachelor's degree or higher in business, marketing, communications, or a related field. They must have sales and/or marketing experience, reliability, excellent communication skills, and a proven track record for developing marketing strategies.
Director of Sales and Marketing Tasks
- Oversee the competitive positioning of the organization; including the analysis and collection of market data.
- Develop objectives and policies for the sales and marketing department, and measurements.
- Oversee staff operations, business planning, budget development and expenditures toward achievement of objectives.
- Plan and set the marketing and sales direction and strategy.
- Act as subject matter expert to senior leadership on issues relating to sales and marketing.