A network specialist works in a company’s information technology (IT) department to ensure constant connectivity. The network specialist makes sure that employees who rely on a company intranet can communicate with one another. For companies that rely on an Internet presence with customers, the network specialist also ensures that the company’s website and e-commerce infrastructure works at all times.
In addition to helping to maintain this connectivity, the network specialist often helps ensure that store-sensitive customer data is properly encrypted and secure; the network specialist typically audits this data and storage to assess any vulnerabilities. Specialists may also work with security specialists in the IT department, as well as help security personnel establish rules and procedures for data sharing by employees.
Network specialists must work with employees and executives to troubleshoot network difficulties as they arise, and they need to have a clear understanding of the hardware infrastructure and software to resolve these inquiries. Network specialists typically work in an office environment during regular business hours. Because network connectivity is so important to modern business entities, a network specialist may need to be “on call” during off hours in the event of emergencies.
To work as a network specialist, a person must have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or another related field, such as engineering. A candidate for this position likely needs one or more relevant certifications as well. Typically, companies prefer prior IT field experience.
Network Specialist Tasks
- Installing phones, phone lines and troubleshooting problems with telephone communications.
- Install and troubleshoot problems with all software installed on company computer equipment.
- Maintain daily and monthly backups of servers ensuring data integrity.
- Administrate and setup of all user accounts to access the network and email.
- Setup and support all network equipment including servers, PC's, printers and LAN equipment.