A technical product and program manager must consistently monitor the planning and progress of a multitude of programs. They can work in many fields and may expect to focus on productivity, as well as directly monitoring quality. A technical product and program manager works from the beginning of a project or program and see that project through monitoring and completion. They are responsible for ensuring the entirety of the project goes smoothly and as planned. Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills are essential for this position; a technical product and program manager is also a leader and must be comfortable in a leadership role.
Typically, this role requires a bachelor's degree in a relevant field of study and relevant experience in the field; on average, the required experience for technical product and program manager is five to seven years. Additionally, the role may require experience in the particular field in which the manager is to work. For example a cruise line company might prefer a candidate to have experience on a cruise ship; a cellular phone company might prefer a candidate that is familiar with their product and has experience in their industry or a closely related one.
Technical Product & Program Manager Tasks
- Define resources and schedule for project/program implementation.
- Define requirements and plan project lifecycle deployment.
- Create strategies for risk mitigation and contingency planning.
- Run complex projects/programs from design and development to production.
- Plans and schedule project deliverables, goals and milestones.