Information technology (IT) implementation consultants generally work for staffing firms, which deploy them to assist businesses in software implementation. A common scenario is that a client buys a developer’s software, and the developer then contacts the consulting firm for assistance in deploying that software to the client.
The specific tasks that an IT implementation consultant performs include mapping sources of data for inclusion in the software, configuring routines for the extraction of that data, troubleshooting the overall implementation process, installing the software, using the software in a test environment, and deploying the software to workstations. IT implementation consultants typically do not provide ongoing support once the software is deployed and running.
IT implementation consultants usually have a bachelor's degree in information systems or computer science. Working hours vary significantly according to each client’s needs. Implementation consultants must travel frequently to meet with representatives of the client and assist in installing the software.
IT implementation consultants must possess a variety of skills and abilities. Their knowledge base must include language and scripts experience, such as with SQL. The ability to debug and analyze data is essential. Many corporate clients purchase software that involves data warehousing, so experience in that area is often necessary. Excellent communication skills are critical, as consultants must act as the go-between for the developer and client.
Implementation Consultant, IT Tasks
- Develop teaching aids including training handbooks, demonstration models, multimedia visual aids and reference works.
- Work with internal and external customers to formulate teaching outlines and determine instructional methods.
- Maintain working knowledge of the software application including all revisions.
- Conduct systems training sessions in various settings for internal and external customers.
- Achieve targets in terms of trainer evaluation scores and trainer productivity.