The managerial hierarchy of any large business can be quite expansive, but when the business grows to encompass large portions of the planet, it becomes necessary to structure an entire system which is amenable to running operations for individual countries; this is the responsibility of a country manager. These managers hold high-level positions and have authority over all of a company's business operations within a foreign nation. This job requires an enormous degree of responsibility, as country managers report directly to the highest levels of company management.
Those in this position reside over the entire range of their companies' business activities within a particular country. From personnel to finances and infrastructure, all major decisions go by the country manager, whose broad business skills are essential to determine the best ways to implement new ideas, construct budgets, manage finances, oversee staff recruitment and training, and ensure that all operations comply with the laws and regulations of the respective nation.
Aspiring country managers should have a range of relevant business skills, including strong and effective communication skills, networking skills, and close attention to detail. They should also have (or be willing to develop) a high degree of familiarity with their territories, including understanding local laws and customs.
Applicants for this position should have a college degree in business management, finance, or a related field and between five and ten years of management experience at multiple levels.
Country Manager, General Operations Tasks
- Coordinate and manage the activities of a company in a country, and develop and implement strategies for increasing growth.
- Oversee managers' efforts to increase employee productivity and ensure employee safety.
- Direct managers in the assignment of projects and supervise the completion of assigned tasks.
- Establish and enforce procedures and policies in all company offices in a country.
- Ensure financial objectives are met, and manage the country operations budget and making sure funds are used efficiently.