Network technicians work with vendors, programmers, and customers to aid with installation and troubleshooting needs. Some other key tasks that network technicians perform include (but are not limited to): troubleshooting hardware, software and network problems; configuring and installing operating systems; training users; installing and troubleshooting network cable infrastructure; and writing scripts and creating files to enhance operating systems. Network technicians should possess the following abilities: being able to effectively troubleshoot a wide range of problems; multitask; communicate well in person and over the phone with vendors and customers (who will inevitably have varying degrees of knowledge in the network technician's field); the ability to stay organized and prioritize tasks; and the ability to work alone and to work well with others.
Network technicians typically work indoors and can work for companies in a wide range of fields. The minimum educational qualifications for network technicians usually include an associate's or bachelor's degree and two years of related work experience. Depending on the job offer, network technicians may need a degree in a specific area, such as computer science, engineering or another field. Some companies may also require their technicians to hold a valid driver's license when their job position entails driving a company vehicle to jobs and work sites. Schedules and work hours vary from company to company, but in general, network technicians will work a standard Monday through Friday work week.
Network Technician Tasks
- Analyze problems and define solutions for existing network issues.
- Respond to troubleshoot and repair failures preventing customer access to critical applications throughout the organization.
- Prepare price quotes for customers for standard PC hardware, software and peripheral equipment.
- Maintain the LAN which includes daily monitoring for system failures, performing daily data backups and network performance tracking.
- Diagnose wiring problems and resolve them.