A cafe manager is the person who is ultimately responsible for all of the operations at a cafe. As the final line of authority of the location, the manager plans, directs, and coordinates the cafe's operations. This includes scheduling employee hours, delegating tasks to staff, overseeing staff performance, and making any necessary corrections or reprimands to employee activity. The cafe manager is also responsible for ensuring that customers are treated in a pleasant and respectful manner, and deals with any customer issues or complaints in which a manager is requested by the employee or customer. They are also responsible for the health and sanitary conditions of the cafe; it is essential to ensure the cafe is clean at all times and in compliance with state and federal sanitation and food-handling regulations.
The cafe manager is also responsible for financial duties such as ordering supplies, monitoring inventory, maintaining a budget, and planning equipment functions. The cafe manager also performs several human resources tasks such as screening and recruitment, as well as the training of all employees. Finally, they work with regional managers to ensure that corporate standards and methodologies are implemented and obeyed.
A bachelor's degree in business management may be desired by employers seeking cafe managers. However, experience working as an employee in a cafe is generally the most important qualification. Most cafe managers travel very little and spend most of their work time in the cafe. Hours vary depending on the cafe's hours and the manager's daily responsibilities.
Cafe Manager Tasks
- Provide ongoing training and coaching to staff on company guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Plan and prepare work schedules and assign employees to specific duties in the café.
- Manage day-to-day café operations, ensuring adequate stock of food and drink supplies, the premises are clean and presentable, and that customers are served in a timely fashion.
- Manage employees engaged in serving customers, taking orders, and preparing food and drink.
- Ensure that company safety standards are met and that all food and drink is prepared according to all federal and local health regulations.