An Event Coordinator is a person who is hired by a client or employer that needs assistance in planning one or many events. The job of the coordinator is to meet with clients in order to plan, brainstorm and budget the event that will be held. The coordinator will then hire staff, decide who caters, they hire the bands and all the little accessories that go along with any event. They can also be in charge of the guest list and the marketing of the event. The coordinator is the “Go To” person. They ultimately are the one in charge of everyone working on the event. If a problem surfaces they are who must set up another plan. If someone cancels they find a replacement. The duties are endless and the responsibility is overwhelming at times. There is more to an Event Coordinator then picking colors and deciding what food will be served. The coordinator must be a leader, they must take charge and be decisive. They have to be bookkeepers and secretaries. They are an essential part of an event. They are the part that makes things run smoothly and in an orderly fashion. They time the food and the dances. They resolve the problems that can be caused by a hundred different things. The job is heavy and the Event Coordinator must always be on top of things. And when the event is over the coordinator is who makes sure the staff is paid and the venders get back equipment that was borrowed.
Event Coordinator Tasks
- Supervise the set-up, running, and break down of the event, identifying and resolving problems.
- Meet with clients to plan event and establish budget.
- Select event vendors and staff, direct and supervise their work.
- Plan and manage the logistics of an event, including venue, guests, programs, catering, and marketing.
- Track event expenses and review accuracy of invoices.