A junior copywriter is an entry-level position which works underneath a senior copywriter. Although their responsibilities may vary greatly from company to company, they must always provide excellent customer service to their companies' clients. They should be able to listen to clients' ideas and transfer them to paper in order to bring their visions to life; as such, junior copywriters should have vivid imaginations and be able to brainstorm for a wide array of needs.
Those in this position should have a portfolio of past projects to show they can develop innovative ideas and continue to expand in their careers, and are also responsible for capturing their targeted audience and promoting revenue growth for clients through printed advertisements and campaigns. They should have an excellent eye for detail and excellent language skills to research their company and apply their findings to their writing for clients.
A bachelor’s degree in advertising, writing, or journalism is generally required for this position. Innovative and forward-thinking junior copywriters may find themselves climbing the ladder within their companies to eventually become senior copywriters.
Junior Copywriter Tasks
- Work with Creative Director, Art Director and other copy writers to develop creative copy for advertising campaigns.
- Ensure copy serves purpose of selling client's product/service/image according to strategic creative plan.
- Research brands and products to write copy that is accurate, on-target and "brand-right".
- Write original copy and edit existing copy and proofread all copy deliverables for quality.
- Ensure adherence to and consistency in copy standards and style.