The account manager of sales is responsible for overseeing their sales team and providing them with support and direction. This helps to ensure execution of the developed sales strategies, plans, and advertising or promotional programs. A sales manager often times will accompany a member of the sales team to meet with clients. Maintaining contact with key markets by visiting and investigating the operations and local conditions is an important function of this position. It is vital that the sales manager work out in the field as well as in the office. This ensures activities are in accordance to the developed sales objectives, and if they are not, then changes can be quickly made. The sales manager being out in the field helps to strengthen relationships with not only clients, but suppliers as well and having good communication with them is important. The sales manager not only hires their own sales team, they are also responsible for letting them go if they are not performing well enough. Working closely with the sales team allows the sales manager to guide and give the proper advice to those who are struggling to meet their sales quota each month.
The account sales manager not only works closely with their team of salespeople, but also with general managers, administrators and colleagues who work in different branches. This is done through meetings, as well as day-to-day interactions in the office and over the phone. Working closely with others will allow the sales manager to evaluate and provide analysis to management for new products and international market opportunities. Weekly meetings are the best time to relay this important information and discuss it further. This goes hand-in-hand with planning and implementing sales programs for one or more of the company's products.
Account Manager Sales Tasks
- Maintain contact with key markets by visiting and investigating the operations and local conditions.
- Evaluate and provide analysis to management for new products and international market opportunities.
- Plans and implements sales programs for one or more of the company's product line.
- Ensure activities are in accordance to the developed sales objectives.
- Ensure execution of the developed sales strategies, plans, and advertising or promotional programs.