A human resources (HR) specialist is responsible to various tasks within the HR department. Working under an HR manager, the HR specialist focuses on a specific task or role such as payroll, benefits, training, compensation, recruiting, and customer service for employees. The HR specialist assists with daily operations of the HR department, which typically includes being the first point of contact for employees. Duties include answering general employee questions, data entry into payroll and HR systems, and administering health benefit plans. This position is in charge of timely submission of employee-related paperwork.
The HR specialist communicates with all levels of personnel and alerts management of the company to any issues that require immediate attention. The HR specialist also assists with compiling data often used for employee annual reviews, employee terminations, and audits from government agencies, which requires the ability to analyze data, run reports, and provide requested information. Exit interviews and paperwork associated with the termination process are handled in this role, as is compliance with labor laws.The HR specialist maintains and updates employee handbooks and employee access portals, and also ensures memos are distributed and read by all employees.
Typical schedule for the HR specialist is Monday through Friday during business hours. Employers typically require a bachelor's degree and previous work experience in human resources.
Human Resources (HR) Specialist Tasks
- Answer employee questions about human resources policies and procedures.
- Supports HR activities and programs; such as staffing, compensation, benefits, training and safety.
- Participates in developing new policies, procedures and programs.
- Coordinates projects and implements employee compensation, training and benefit programs; including communications.
- Supports and maintains HR activities and programs; such as staffing, compensation, benefits, training and safety.