A senior systems analyst is a position in the field of information technology (IT). The senior analyst is responsible for the overall design, strategic planning, and support of the tactical aspects of the IT department's operations. The employee's duties involve a variety of computer systems administration and support responsibilities including analyzing, creating, documenting, testing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and otherwise supporting server hardware, network data storage, and operating systems (including Windows and Linux), peripherals, and software applications for the company. The analyst will create system changes and test new processes to ensure that all changes are effective and functional. As a senior member of the IT department, the analyst should have several years of experience and a solid understanding of the processes and technology used in the day-to-day duties of the job. A senior systems analyst should have excellent communication skills and a solid grasp of English, and should be able to communicate ideas clearly and constructively. Education requirements include a college education, with at least a bachelor's degree (either B.A. or B.S.) in computer science, information technology, or a related academic field. The senior systems analyst should be very familiar with SQL and MS Access, and should have a strong foundation of knowledge when it comes to the processes and technology used for systems analysis. As needed, the senior systems analyst should be prepared to handle any escalated requests for IT assistance from other company employees that may include server access, data migration, or operating system errors.
Senior Systems Analyst Tasks
- Analyze and route issues into the proper ticketing systems and update and close tickets in a timely manner.
- Devise or modify procedures to solve problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations.
- Establish new users, manage access levels and reset passwords.
- Conduct application testing and provide database management support.
- Create and maintain documentation as necessary for operational and security audits.