Attorney / Lawyer, (Law Firm) Salary
Job Description for Attorney / Lawyer, (Law Firm)
The position of a criminal attorney, or lawyer for a law firm, requires a great deal of mental capability and the ability to work well with others, as these attorneys represent their clients in a court of law to present the best case possible for the client's benefit. These include court cases, pretrial hearings, conferences for settlements, and more.Read More...
Attorneys can expect to spend their days indoors working with clients and finding the best and most reliable ways to prove the legitimacy of their cases. Most lawyers work on multiple cases at a time and must able to keep them separate while maintaining accuracy and consistency. Attorneys go through several steps in these cases and spend a great deal of time and effort to best represent their clients in court.
Aspiring attorneys must obtain at least a bachelor's degree and pass the state bar exam, and most also need a Juris Doctor degree for the position. The work can vary greatly, as there are many different legal fields and some lawyers work primarily on small, personal cases while others focus on larger cases that may involve corporations or large amounts of money.
Attorney / Lawyer, (Law Firm) Tasks
- Advise clients in business transactions, claim liablility, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits or legal rights and obligations.
- Select jurors, argue motions, meet with judges and question witnesses during the course of a trial.
- Represent clients in court or before government agencies, present and summarize cases to judges and juries.
- Gather evidence to formulate defense or to initiate legal actions; evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments for presentation of cases.
- Analyze and interpret laws, rulings and regulations with probable case outcomes for individuals and businesses.
Attorney / Lawyer Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Pay by Experience Level for Attorney / Lawyer, (Law Firm)
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Law Firm Attorneys who reported more years of relevant experience also reported higher earnings. In this occupation, salaries for the relatively untested average out to $79K, but folks in the five-to-10 year range enjoy a much heftier median of $112K. People with 10 to 20 years of experience make an average of about $146K in this role. People who have worked for more than 20 years report a median income of $160K, which is barely higher than the median for folks with 10 to 20 years of experience.
Pay Difference by Location
Surpassing the national average by 56 percent, Law Firm Attorneys in Seattle receive some of the highest pay in the country. Law Firm Attorneys will also find cushy salaries in Los Angeles (+41 percent) and Chicago (+17 percent). Trailing the national average by 15 percent, San Diego is the market with the smallest paychecks.