The work of a wholesale distributor branch manager is similar in many ways to other management positions, in that they work to evaluate, develop, train, and mentor their team. They also perform hiring, scheduling, and training for staff, as well as work on finance-related matters such as ensuring that sales and profit targets are met while providing high-quality service to customers. The ability to analyze financial information is key to ensuring that all these important targets are met, making data analysis an important skill for the individual occupying the position of wholesale distributor branch manager to possess.
Wholesale distributor branch manager positions differ from some other managerial roles in the environment they oversee. Wholesale distributors often work in - and oversee employees in - a warehouse setting, and they must be prepared for challenges (such as temperature changes) that are specific to that environment. Wholesale distributors must also be comfortable working in a warehouse on a day-to-day basis, including meeting physical requirements of the job such as walking or standing for extended periods to oversee warehouse tasks.
A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is expected for this position. Experience in warehouses and/or warehouse distribution is highly desired. The branch manager must also have such skills as leadership, analysis, interpersonal communication, and supervision of employees. They must also be knowledgeable in basic office software such as the Microsoft Office suite.
Branch Manager, Wholesale Distributor Tasks
- Ensure the branch meets sales targets and establish strong relationships with customers.
- Oversee the work of branch employees, ensuring they are properly trained and that the branch is fully staffed.
- Analyze market and industry trends to make sure product pricing remains competitive.
- Manage the daily operation of a wholesale outlet and ensure orders are efficiently received, filled, and shipped.
- Monitor warehouse inventory levels, the reordering of items, and transaction record keeping.