City Planner Salary
The average salary for a City Planner is $55,106 per year. Most people move on to other jobs if they have more than 20 years' experience in this field. Experience has a moderate effect on income for this job.
Job Description for City Planner
City planners are responsible for planning developmental procedures in a city and are often at the forefront of new projects as they are implemented. They are also involved in zoning and permits for their cities, so multitasking and the ability to handle several projects at a time are highly beneficial for this position.Read More...
A bachelor’s degree is generally a minimum requirement for this position and some cities and municipalities may require a master’s degree. The ability to communicate effectively with all types of people is essential for city planners, and leadership and a team mentality are also beneficial in the right circumstances. The ability to lift up to 25 pounds and stand upright for several hours is necessary, as the position and work environment can change day by day. It is also important to maintain a positive demeanor, as the ability to cooperate with co-workers and thrive in a team environment will keep the city running smoothly.
The ability to arrive to work on time and avoid absence is important, as some city planners may be the only ones in the office with knowledge of certain practices and their time away can stall important operations. Computer skills are also necessary, as city planners must be able to use particular software programs and type company reports.
City Planner Tasks
- Develop long and short term plans for land use, growth, maintenance, and revitalization.
- Monitor relevant legislation and ensure compliance of all projects with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Assist and make recommendations on funding allocations for programs or transportation projects.
- Develop, design, and implement studies on transportation, air quality, housing, and population, and analyze and report on results.
- Address social, economic, environmental, and health problems by making recommendations location improvements or zoning regulations.
Urban Planner Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Pay by Experience Level for City Planner
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
City Planner Advice
Related Job Salaries
Key Stats for City Planner
Rated 4 out of 5
based on 13 votes.