A Floorhand earns an average wage of $12.01 per hour. Most people with this job move on to other positions after 20 years in this field. For the first five to ten years in this position, wages increase sharply, but any additional experience does not have a big effect on pay.
Job Description for Floorhand
A floorhand assists crew members on an oil rig, which may be onshore or offshore. Some duties that may be performed by a floorhand include cleaning up the work area, operating hand and power tools, cleaning equipment and transporting items from place to place. The floorhand may also be trained to operate and maintain certain pieces of equipment. This job is physically strenuous, and the tasks involved may require the floorhand to walk and stand for long periods of time, climb, bend and stoop. The work environment can often be noisy, and the floorhand may work under adverse weather conditions such as rain or high heat. Hours vary depending on the shifts available; day, night and/or weekend hours may be required, and floorhands may be stationed for multiple consecutive days in an offshore rig environment.Read More...
A high school diploma or equivalent is typically the minimum educational requirement for floorhand positions. Though some positions will ask for an experienced floorhand, it is usually an entry-level position that offers on-the-job training. A valid driver’s license is often required, as the floorhand may be required to operate a vehicle for the company. Floorhands must be able to work effectively in a team environment, as well as on their own with minimal supervision.
- Assists and helps Crew Pusher carry out all operational activities around the rig floor or any other area of the rig location as designated by the Driller.
- Picking up, laying down, running, retrieving, connecting, tripping, standing back and/or disconnecting all components of the casing drill string, completion string, and when required, drill pipe.
- Check functioning of all casing handling and run tools to enable carrying out operational activities.
- Prepare the rig floor area for whatever operation is to take place.
- Maintains a safe working environment and clean and tidy rig floor area by picking up and storing all tools in their respective storage areas after using, discarding waste materials and washing down the rig floor and rig floor equipment.