Jewelry store managers run a given retail store and are responsible for everything from scheduling staff to ensuring that security/safety standards are being met. Jewelry store managers must have strong communication and leadership skills. They must also must be more aware of possible danger than most other retail managers because the industry in which they work is one of the primary targets for thieves and robbers.
Jewelry store managers work hours tend to vary: They may work a shift from 8am to 4pm or one from 12pm to 8pm. They may also work on weekends as most retail stores are open on weekends. Also, if an employee calls out, often times the manager must fill in for the absent employee.
Aside from having knowledge of jewelry, a jewelry store manager must also make schedules for employees, oversee the maintenance of the store, inventory and jewelry, and be part of the decision process in terms of what suppliers they work with and what deals they make with them. The work area is usually an office and the sales floor of a jewelry store. Tools of use tend to include a computer, telephone, typical office supplies, and a specialty jewelry tools such as magnifying glasses and ring sizers.
Jewelry store managers are often required to have several years of experience in retail and management, and they are sometimes required to have certification from a jewelry training program. There is no actual degree required for the job in many instances, however a bachelor's in business management helps many people land the job.
Jewelry Store Manager Tasks
- Manage overall day to day operations of the store, including hiring, reviewing, and employee scheduling.
- Support service and operations at retail store(s), including managing warehouse, procurement, staffing and online presence.
- Ensure profitability of retail store(s) by controlling costs and expenditures, pursue marketing ideas, and deliver high quality products.
- Set and track retail goals and objectives.
- Develop rapport and make connections with the retail team and customers.