The title "master electrician" typically refers to a type of electrician who has achieved mastery of their trade. They usually oversee electrician apprentices and journeymen electricians on residential, industrial, and commercial electrical jobs. Typically, a master electrician schedules jobs in phases during a planning stage and ensure that all needed parts, materials, and components have been ordered in advance for the completion of the job.
A master electrician, in general, has different responsibilities depending on the type of project he or she is about to work on. For example, in the planning stage, a master electrician reviews blueprints with a general contractor before beginning work on a new build site; this ensures that the wiring diagrams and sketches are accurate prior to beginning construction. On a remodeling project, a master electrician usually reviews the current wiring to determine what can be kept and what must be replaced. Once this is completed, the master electrician will compile a list of materials and task their crew with what needs to be done.
A master electrician is trained on the installation, repair, maintenance, and safe removal of electrical components. This expertise is complimented often by a working knowledge of other specialties such as plumbing that a master electrician might encounter while working on a job site. Generally, a master electrician must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent. Most often, a master electrician has also attended a trade school to become an electrician or has completed a professional apprenticeship.
Master Electrician Tasks
- Perform and interpret power calculations, power factor, insulation tests and positive relay tests as required.
- Install complicated conduit and control systems.
- Read and interpret construction drawings electrical, mechanical and architectural.
- Diagnose malfunctioning systems, apparatus, or components, using test equipment and tools, to locate the cause of a problem.
- Install, terminate and splice 120/208/240/480 volt cables.