Meat Wrapper, Grocery Store Salary
A Meat Wrapper, Grocery Store earns an average wage of $11.32 per hour. Most people move on to other jobs if they have more than 20 years' experience in this career. Experience has a moderate effect on salary for this job.
Job Description for Meat Wrapper, Grocery Store
On a typical day, a meat wrapper is responsible for receiving, storing, weighing, and wrapping the meat department’s products. They may work with different types of machines, such as wrapping machines, and they are also responsible for maintaining the meat case in an organized manner, cleaning the glass, and taking and relaying requests from customers to the meat cutter.Read More...
Meat wrappers must also order and stock items for the deli, including previously frozen food products. Before being hired, they must successfully pass a training class which teaches how to follow company guidelines regarding merchandise presentation, food safety and sanitation, and customer service. Prior customer service skills are highly beneficial, including good listening skills, patience, and communicating in a friendly manner.
Meat wrappers must have basic mathematical skills in order to weigh meat and handle money for customers; the capacity to add and subtract quickly and accurately is necessary. Generally, meat wrappers must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma, and some may also need prior experience. They must be able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis and occasionally lift 75 pounds. It may be important to have a flexible schedule, as meat wrappers may be required to work nights, holidays, or extended hours.
Meat Wrapper, Grocery Store Tasks
- Cut, grind, weigh, price, wrap, and package meat for customers.
- Drive, load, and unload pallet jacks or other equipment in the storage area, refrigerated area, and loading areas.
- Stock and rotate products in all displays, and ensure that none are past the sell-by date.
- Answer questions about products, the source of products, cooking, and preparation of meat, and general store information.
- Meet or exceed company guidelines about hygiene, presentation and customer service at meat case and workstations.