Oncology Pharmacist Salary
The average pay for an Oncology Pharmacist is $117,680 per year. Pay for this job does not change much by experience, with the most experienced earning only a bit more than the least.
Job Description for Oncology Pharmacist
Oncology pharmacists work primarily for pharmacies and hospitals to mix and dispense medication for treatment for cancer patients. They work primarily with cancer patients and also conduct cancer research, and must ensure that these medications are handled and stored properly to avoid spoilage.Read More...
Accuracy, close attention to detail, and communication skills are important in this position, and computer literacy is also necessary. They must be able to use specific software or computer applications, and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs is also helpful. Oncology pharmacists must work closely with clients' physicians to educate patients and develop treatment plans, and they may also answer relevant questions from patients or authorized guardians/family members.
A college degree and necessary certification are required for this position, and oncology infusion center experience is highly beneficial. Some employers prefer candidates who have experience with automated dispensing devices and pharmacy information systems, and oncology pharmacists must stay up-to-date with the newest scientific findings and technologies in their field by reading relevant professional journals or attending workshops and conferences.
Oncology Pharmacist Tasks
- Educate patient on medication use, storage and side effects.
- Solicit information from patients regarding past and current medication to prevent drug interactions.
- May collaborate with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review and evaluate patient effectiveness.
- Analyze prescribing trends to monitor patient compliance and to prevent excessive usage or harmful interactions.
- Dispense and review prescriptions to ensure accuracy, and compliance with professional, state and federal regulatory requirements.
Pharmacist Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Pay by Experience Level for Oncology Pharmacist
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Related Job Salaries
Key Stats for Oncology Pharmacist
Rated 5 out of 5
based on 4 votes.