A packaging or filling machine operator ensures that all packages are securely fashioned and have the necessary packaging to ensure proper delivery and handling. The operator fills packages of various sizes with the appropriate material to ensure that the item will not be damaged during shipment; this includes using materials such as packing peanuts and bubble wrap to ensure the item will remain intact inside the box, as well as proper adhesives to ensure that the box will remain shut during shipment. A packaging or filling machine operator also selects the correct package size to ensure proper handling, while keeping cost in mind. The operator must also select a box with the necessary strength to ensure the item is not crushed and that it does not break the box.
The operator should have a high attention to detail and be able to follow a standard procedure, while maintaining the ability to deal with non-standard items and operations as required. The operator must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and on their feet for the majority of a shift. They should also be able to work in a facility that includes hazards such as constant loud noises and plastic, silicon, and other packaging materials (which may be hazardous to allergic individuals). The operator should be energetic, safety-conscious, and a team player. It is imperative that the individual have reliable transportation and the ability to arrive to work on time.
Packaging or Filling Machine Operator / Tender Tasks
- Regulate machine flow, speed or temperature.
- Observe machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged products to standards.
- Stop or reset machines when malfunctions occur, clear machine jams and report malfunctions to a supervisor.
- Adjust machine components and machine tension and pressure according to size or processing angle of product.
- Clean and remove damaged or otherwise inferior materials to prepare raw products for processing.