A Prosthetist earns an average salary of $62,185 per year.
Job Description for Prosthetist
Prosthetists create and fit artificial body parts for patients who need them. They are responsible for meeting with patients and evaluating the type of prostheses that would be most beneficial, and they often take molds of patients' bodies at the points which need artificial replacement and create the new, artificial parts from those molds. This process requires much dexterity and precision, and prosthetists also advise and educate patients about their new prostheses and their proper care and maintenance. Prosthetists will also be consulted when prostheses break or malfunction, and record keeping is of great importance in this position.Read More...
Prosthetists must have a master’s degree in a relevant field and 500 clinical hours under the experienced eye of a prosthetist. Some prosthetists must be licensed with the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics. Before licensure and certification, an exam must be taken and a formal residency program must be completed. It is highly beneficial for prosthetists to be licensed and certified whether their area requires it or not in order to expand employment opportunities. Those in this position work primarily in medical offices and hospitals, and occasionally in specialty facilities.
- Make and modify plaster casts of areas that will be fitted with prosthesis, selecting materials to be used.
- Instruct patients in the use and care of prosthesis limbs in upper or lower body.
- Design prosthetic devices or artificial limbs, based on physicians' prescription and examination and measurement of the patient.
- Confer with physicians in order to formulate specifications prosthetic devices.
- Repair, rebuild and modify prosthetic appliances.
Prosthetist Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Pay by Experience Level for Prosthetist
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Key Stats for Prosthetist
Rated 4 out of 5
based on 2 votes.