Respiratory Care Practitioner Salary
A Respiratory Care Practitioner earns an average wage of $27.37 per hour. The highest paying skills associated with this job are Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Emergency Room (ER), and Critical Care.
Job Description for Respiratory Care Practitioner
Respiratory care practitioners generally work with medical firms, such as doctors' offices and the intensive care units (ICU) or emergency rooms (ER) of hospitals, but may also provide at-home services for clientele of all ages. These practitioners usually work during traditional weekly business hours, as well as occasional weekends depending on the employer. They report directly to the Director of Critical Care in their medical department and work with numerous patients with a variety of respiratory problems, including emphysema, pneumonia, cardiovascular disorders, and other cardiopulmonary issues.Read More...
Aspiring respiratory care practitioners should have at least an associate's degree in an accredited respiratory care program, though a graduate degree from an AMA-approved school of respiratory therapy is highly recommended. Following graduation, applicants will be eligible to take exams administered by the National Board for Respiratory Care to become registered and certified. Prospective applicants are also required to have current licensing in their respective state, as well as CPR and first-aid certification.
Respiratory Care Practitioner Tasks
- Determine requirements for treatment; type, method and duration of therapy based on physicians' orders.
- Set up and operate mechanical and therapeutic devices following specified parameters of treatment.
- Monitor patient's physiological responses to therapy; vital signs, arterial blood gases and blood chemistry changes and consult with physician if adverse reactions occur.
- Maintain patient charts with therapy information.
- Inspect, clean, and test respiratory therapy equipment.
Respiratory Therapist Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Popular Skills for Respiratory Care Practitioner
Pay by Experience Level for Respiratory Care Practitioner
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Related Job Salaries
Key Stats for Respiratory Care Practitioner
Rated 5 out of 5
based on 11 votes.