Every Friday we round up the salary trends, career stories and job news that you may have missed during the past week.
- Digg cofounder Kevin Rose has just been hired at Google along with several members of his startup Milk. The timing is curious: Just days ago, Rose announced that the first Milk app, Oink, would be shut down. Do you think Rose has been brought on to give Google+ a lift?
- The latest census data reveals disturbing news about the gender pay disparity: The best chance a woman has of earning more than a man on Wall Street is by working in the personal care and service industry performing tasks like shoe shining or house sitting.
- Georgia Collins of the business consultancy DEGW believes it’s time to cut the employee-office leash. Collins cites workplace distraction as the primary reason for businesses to let their teams work from home or wherever else they can concentrate.
- How can we educate the next generation of workers? A startup called E[nstitute] is hoping to shake up higher education through a two-year, apprenticeship-based learning experience wherein students can gain valuable experience by working for small businesses and startups.
- Fast Company focuses on 50 companies that are reinventing the retail experience. On its list are Patagonia, UPS, Amazon and Kiva Systems.
More From Payscale
(Photo credit: Victor1558/Flickr)