On the other hand, 75 percent of those who asked received some sort of a raise. So you can see that it’s worth it to ask for the salary you deserve. If you’ve done all the legwork — researched an appropriate salary range, developed a strategy, and prepared a script — but you’re having trouble taking that last step and starting the conversation, it might be time for a little inspiration.
1. “If you don’t value your time, neither will others. Stop giving away your time and talents. Value what you know and start charging for it.” – Kim Garst, Founder and CEO of Boom! Social
2. “Don’t let money run your life, let money help you run your life better.” – John Rampton, CEO of Due
3. “The art is not in making money, but in keeping it.” – Proverb
4. “Don’t think money does everything or you are going to end up doing everything for money.” – Voltaire, author of Candide
5. “Money is usually attracted, not pursued.” – Jim Rohn, entrepreneur and motivational speaker
6. “A wise person should have money in their head, but not in their heart.” – Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver’s Travels
7. “What we really want to do is what we are really meant to do. When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us.” – Julia Cameron, author of The Artist’s Way
8. “Money is multiplied in practical value depending on the number of W’s you control in your life: what you do, when you do it, where you do it, and with whom you do it.” – Timothy Ferriss, author of The 4-Hour Workweek
9. “There’s no money in poetry, but then there’s no poetry in money, either.” – Robert Graves, poet
10. “When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, ‘It’s in the script.’ If he says, ‘But what’s my motivation?, ‘ I say, ‘Your salary.'” – Alfred Hitchcock, director
Tell Us What You Think
What’s your favorite quote about salary? We want to hear from you! Leave a comment or join the discussion on Twitter.