The average salary for a Penetration Tester is AU$91,335.
Is Penetration Tester your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
AU$56k - AU$125k
AU$102 - AU$20k
AU$51k - AU$128k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Penetration Tester
The integrity of internal systems connected with the wider Internet is crucial to the operations of many organizations, from financial institutions to health care companies to government agencies. Organizations often employ cybersecurity experts to help protect their vital systems from malicious attacks. One of the basic tasks that must be accomplished to secure a system is to find where vulnerabilities exist. The penetration tester uses a wide variety of tools (some of which may be self-constru…Read more
Penetration Tester Tasks
- Conduct IT/Cyber Security assessments / penetration tests (hands-on work), as an individual, self-managed tester, or in small project teams.
- Work with customers to determine their need for security assessments, present and explain the employed methodology, and support them with feedback and verification during mitigation.
- Document findings for management and technical staff and recommend mitigating actions.
- Follow industry best practice methodologies for penetration testing, and be able to use tools for a basis level assessment.
- Search for security vulnerabilities in web applications, fat/thin client applications, and standard applications, and assess the secure configuration of operating systems and network devices.
Penetration Tester Job Listings
Popular Skills for Penetration Tester
Security Testing and Auditing
Web Security & Encryption
IT Security & Infrastructure
Skills in Security Testing and Auditing and Cyber Security are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include IT Security & Infrastructure, Web Security & Encryption and Penetration Testing.
Pay by Experience Level for Penetration Tester
An entry-level Penetration Tester with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of AU$73,698 based on 17 salaries. An early career Penetration Tester with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of AU$91,335 based on 37 salaries. A mid-career Penetration Tester with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of AU$118,644 based on 15 salaries. An experienced Penetration Tester with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of AU$90,000 based on 7 salaries.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Penetration Tester in their job title in Melbourne, Victoria earn an average of 6.2% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Sydney, New South Wales (5.5% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Brisbane, Queensland (15.1% less) and Perth, Western Australia (8.0% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 76 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
AU$66k - AU$149k
AU$55k - AU$114k
AU$66k - AU$147k
AU$96k - AU$192k
AU$56k - AU$140k
AU$74k - AU$151k
AU$97k - AU$170k
AU$59k - AU$106k
AU$58k - AU$132k