Avg. Base Salary (AUD)
The average salary for a Zookeeper is AU$54,312
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Zookeepers?
An early career Zookeeper with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of AU$51,913 based on 30 salaries. A mid-career Zookeeper with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of AU$58,958 based on 11 salaries. An experienced Zookeeper with 10-19 …Read more
What Do Zookeepers Do?
Anyone who has visited a wild animal park or refuge has likely seen a zookeeper or two on duty. These are the people who help maintain the habitats and look out for wild animals housed in these zoological parks. Good zookeepers not only help care for and monitor the health of the animals they work with, but also provide education to the general public and zoo visitors. A good zookeeper can help build awareness about species in the wild and grow enthusiasm towards conservation and wild habitat …Read more
- Prepare animal diets according to prescription determined by Management.
- Follow American Zoo and Aquarium (AZA) Code of Professional Ethics and Species Survival Plan (SSP) Guidelines.
- Recommend improvements in animal care procedures and schedules.
- Recognize diseases and carry out treatments prescribed by zoo veterinarian and/or Management.
- Clean zoo exhibits and grounds and maintain general upkeep of the animal habitat.