The average salary for a Zookeeper in Australia is AU$54,475.
Is Zookeeper your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
AU$30k - AU$71k
AU$32k - AU$68k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Zookeeper
Anyone who has visited a wild animal park or refuge has likely seen a zookeeper or two on duty. These are the people who help maintain the habitats and look out for wild animals housed in these zoological parks. Good zookeepers not only help care for and monitor the health of the animals they work with, but also provide education to the general public and zoo visitors. A good zookeeper can help build awareness about species in the wild and grow enthusiasm towards conservation and wild habitat ma…Read more
- Prepare animal diets according to prescription determined by Management.
- Follow American Zoo and Aquarium (AZA) Code of Professional Ethics and Species Survival Plan (SSP) Guidelines.
- Recommend improvements in animal care procedures and schedules.
- Recognize diseases and carry out treatments prescribed by zoo veterinarian and/or Management.
- Clean zoo exhibits and grounds and maintain general upkeep of the animal habitat.
Zookeeper Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Pay by Experience Level for Zookeeper
An early career Zookeeper with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of AU$52,014 based on 24 salaries. A mid-career Zookeeper with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of AU$58,958 based on 7 salaries.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Zookeeper in their job title in Melbourne, Victoria earn an average of 12.1% more than the national average. The lowest salaries can be found in Perth, Western Australia (54.1% less) and Sydney, New South Wales (9.1% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 31 survey responses.