The average pay for an Office Assistant in Nassau is $18,000 per year.
Job Description for Office Assistant
As the title implies, an office assistant assists in an office. The assistant will handle incoming phone calls and messages and will perform filing duties. The office assistant may be called upon to assist in typing memos and letters and transcribing hand-written notes as well, and most employers will require some degree of typing proficiency for this job.Read More...
Additionally, the office assistant typically helps to keep the work areas of the office organized and tidy. The assistant also may be called upon to perform errands for other office personnel and executives on a typical workday. This can include tasks like delivering or picking up documents or securing lunch for the office on busy days when others work at their desks. The office assistant will also normally track the use and inventory of basic office supplies and may be called upon to make regular store runs to replenish these supplies.
In most cases, there are not many specific educational requirements to work as an office assistant, and a high school diploma or equivalent is usually sufficient. Some offices will even hire current high school students to work as assistants after school or during the summer. Office assistants should have a good ability to work with others and have a pleasant manner on the phone. They typically work regular office hours during the week. (Copyright 2018 PayScale.com)
Office Assistant Tasks
- Answer phones, direct calls and take messages.
- Operate office machines; photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines, voice mail systems and personal computers.
- Maintain and update filing, inventory, mailing and database systems.
- Open, sort and route incoming mail, answer correspondence and prepare outgoing mail.
- Complete and mail bills, contracts, policies, invoices and checks.