A Security Guard earns an average salary of $14,984 per year.
Job Description for Security Guard
Security guards provide low-level protection for companies and organizations which usually involves patrolling the premises, either by foot or in a company vehicle (of course, a valid driver’s license is required in order to drive company vehicles). Security guards patrol for suspicious or dangerous activity that might be detrimental to the safety of the facility or any people present. If a person at or in the facility is in violation of particular rules or policies, the guard must correct the situation.Read More...
Some security guards are expected to monitor the people who enter and exit the facility, and may be permitted to restrict access to individuals with clearance. They must always watch for suspicious activity which may lead to theft or violence on the premises; when a situation becomes unmanageable, they must use discretion to remove violators from the facility and call for backup, which may include the police department. Though security is the most important aspect of the job, it is also important to provide service in a polite and professional manner.
In some facilities, security guards also provide reception services to guests. Depending on the facility being monitored, the job may include highly stressful situations, so it is important to be able to work well under pressure. A high school diploma or equivalent is generally required for this position, and some employers may prefer those who have at least an associate’s degree. Many entry-level positions are available, as well. (Copyright 2018 PayScale.com)
Security Guard Tasks
- Guard and monitor premises to prevent theft, property destruction, violence or rules and safety violations.
- Perform fire prevention, safety and maintenance tasks and parking/traffic enforcement.
- Greet incoming guests and tenants, providing information regarding the site and surrounding area as requested by visitors.
- Respond to alarms and emergency situations.
- Make periodic tours to check for irregularities and to inspect protection devices and fire control equipment.