The average pay for a Biomedical Scientist in Toronto, Ontario is C$17.00 per hour.
The average pay for a Biomedical Scientist in Toronto, Ontario is C$43,000 per year.
Job Description for Biomedical Scientist
Biomedical scientists work in laboratories where they perform various scientific experiments. They are often the ones who design the experiments, but sometimes perform experiments designed by the head of the lab, also known as the "primary investigator."Read More...
A bachelor's degree in biology or a biomedical field is generally required for this position, as well as some experience working in a basic science lab, either in college or the field. They must be familiar with all basic laboratory techniques, including western blots, polymerase chain reactions (PCR), electrophoresis, and more. They should also have strong understanding of the tools that are present in the lab and the basic protocols set forth in lab manuals.
Although biomedical scientists generally conduct experiments independently, they may also work under the supervision of a primary investigator. They usually work traditional business hours; in lab work, however, they may occasionally need to begin earlier and/or work later if a particular experiment requires it.
This job often revolves around making discoveries and publishing papers in academic journals. As biomedical scientists further their studies, they are expected not only to conduct their own research, but also write academic papers based on it. Some may work for corporations, where they may run tests on common medical exams. (Copyright 2019 PayScale.com)
- Examine, analyze, and identify abnormalities and diseases by analyzing bodily fluids, cell composition, and body tissue.
- Prepare analyses and briefings of research results.
- Analyze current events to prioritize and validate data related to relevant topics.
- Communicate test results to medical staff who diagnose and treat patients' illnesses.
- Monitor the effects of medication and patient progress with further testing.