The average salary for a City Planner in Canada is C$60,000.
Is City Planner your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
C$41k - C$117k
C$43k - C$110k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for City Planner
City planners are responsible for planning developmental procedures in a city and are often at the forefront of new projects as they are implemented. They are also involved in zoning and permits for their cities, so multitasking and the ability to handle several projects at a time are highly beneficial for this position. A bachelor’s degree is generally a minimum requirement for this position and some cities and municipalities may require a master’s degree. The ability to communicate effectivel…Read more
City Planner Tasks
- Develop long and short term plans for land use, growth, maintenance, and revitalization.
- Monitor relevant legislation and ensure compliance of all projects with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Assist and make recommendations on funding allocations for programs or transportation projects.
- Develop, design, and implement studies on transportation, air quality, housing, and population, and analyze and report on results.
- Address social, economic, environmental, and health problems by making recommendations location improvements or zoning regulations.
Explore the most common career paths for City Planner. Thickness and color of lines indicates popularity of movement from one job to the next. Visit our career path planner to research other job paths.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
City Planner Job Listings
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 12 survey responses.