What Do Senior Charge Nurse (RN)s Do?
A senior charge nurse (RN) oversees a department within a hospital and directs its staff, so leadership and managerial skills are essential in this position. These senior nurses may have administrative duties, such as hiring and firing, scheduling, payroll, and carrying out employee evaluations, and will often delegate specific duties to nursing staff. Inventory duties are also necessary so that supplies are always available.
Senior charge nurses oversee the admission and discharge of patients;…Read more
- Coordinate the activities of the unit and assign work to the nursing staff.
- Institute emergency procedures as necessary.
- Communicate patient status to incoming nursing shift and to physicians.
- Educate the nursing staff on patient care.
- Supervise the delivery of care in a nursing unit.