What Do Building Inspectors Do?
A building inspector plays a key role in the proper construction of buildings and ongoing maintenance of safe occupancy of these structures; most building inspectors are hired by contracting or engineering companies to accomplish these goals. There are also private consulting inspection firms which contract their services to smaller operations in the construction or maintenance fields. State and local authorities also use building inspectors to sign-off on new structures or remodeled buildings t…Read more
- Visit sites and conduct interior and exterior inspections.
- Approve final inspection certificates.
- Identify changes in plans or construction that affect codes and communicate the situation.
- Document and report on code violations and poor compliance, including suggestions for bringing sites up to code.
- Interpret and understand building codes, convey necessary information in documentation, and verbally.