Trumbull is a town in Fairfield County, Connecticut bordered by the towns of Monroe, Shelton, Stratford, Bridgeport, Fairfield and Easton. The population was 36,018 according to the 2010 census.
Originally home to the Golden Hill Paugussett Indian Nation, Trumbull was colonized by the English during the Great Migration of the 1630s as a part of the coastal settlement of Stratford, Connecticut.
The northwest farmers of Stratford petitioned the Colony of Connecticut in 1725 to establish their own separate village apart from Stratford. The farmers wished to call their village Nickol's Farms, after the family that owned a large farm in its center, but the village was named Unity. Unity merged with the village of Long Hill (organized in 1740) in 1744 to form the Society of North Stratford.
After ten years of unsuccessful petitions, the Connecticut General Assembly granted complete town rights to Trumbull in October 1797. The town was named for George...