Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for an Embalmer is $38,000
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Embalmers?
An entry-level Embalmer with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $35,610 based on 33 salaries. An early career Embalmer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $38,321 based on 47 salaries. An experienced Embalmer …Read more
What Do Embalmers Do?
Embalmers typically work for private funeral homes or companies that handle death preparation services for family members. They need to be licensed by the state they work in. Often, their positions require a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Embalmers’ work is both physical and mental. They must be able to lift at least 50 pounds, be capable of standing on their feet for long periods, and use their fine motor skills to embalm, dress, style, and put makeup on their deceased clients. …Read more
- File burial permits and complete all necessary paperwork related to the death process.
- Properly and safely utilize embalming instruments and machinery in accordance with company guidelines.
- Prepare and embalm the deceased for interment or cremation in accordance with legal requirements and with utmost respect for the deceased.
- Organize the transport of the deceased from the place of death to the funeral home and from the funeral home to the cemetery.
- Assist families in making funeral arrangements and advise them on the financial obstacles they face.