Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Fire Lieutenant is $64,744
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Fire Lieutenants?
An early career Fire Lieutenant with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $44,004 based on 10 salaries. A mid-career Fire Lieutenant with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $55,321 based on 20 salaries. An experienced Fire Lieutenant …Read more
What Do Fire Lieutenants Do?
Fire lieutenants are responsible for overseeing and training firefighters within a firehouse and serving as the lead commander on calls for service in the absence of the fire chief. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are important in this position, as these lieutenants often mediate disputes among firefighters and other staff within the firehouse and should be able to do so independently.
Organization and close attention to detail are important in this position to schedule …Read more
- Supervise and direct fire ground and emergency operations for assigned company.
- Conduct fire, occupational license and complaint inspections and re-inspections.
- Maintains and enforce departmental rules and regulations.
- Oversee assigned personnel in daily work schedule and routine station duties including maintenance of vehicles and apparatus.
- Supervise, train and evaluate assigned personnel.