Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Principal Software Engineer is $132,413
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Principal Software Engineers?
An experienced Principal Software Engineer with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $126,667 based on 12 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $165,079.
What Do Principal Software Engineers Do?
Principal software engineers are in charge of most of the technical aspects of an organization's projects. You could consider them to be architects of sorts given the vast scope of work they do on a regular basis. Their primary function is being able to scale projects efficiently while maximizing performance and minimizing costs. They can also oversee development teams and coordinate strategies to make sure the technologies are interconnected and product lines are working smoothly. Most of the …Read more
- Conduct new technology research, concept specification and design of individual software components.
- Participate in product and program collaboration.
- Develop new product concepts and development, deliver product prototypes.
- Design, develop, integrate, test and deploy company's software.
- Execute product specification, system design, development and system integration.