Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Respiratory Therapist is $47.61
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Respiratory Therapists?
An early career Respiratory Therapist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $39.58 based on 7 salaries. A mid-career Respiratory Therapist with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $45.00 based on 6 salaries. An experienced …Read more
What Do Respiratory Therapists Do?
Respiratory therapists, or RTs, work with people who are experiencing issues with breathing and, often, cardiopulmonary issues. In many cases, their patients include premature infants born without fully developed lungs, as well as children and adults who suffer from problems such as cystic fibrosis, asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Generally, a respiratory therapist meets with a patient and examines them; after discussing the results of the exam with a physician, they …Read more
- Monitor patient's physiological responses to therapy; vital signs, arterial blood gases and blood chemistry changes and consult with physician if adverse reactions occur
- Maintain patient charts with therapy information
- Set up and operate mechanical and therapeutic devices following specified parameters of treatment
- Inspect, clean, and test respiratory therapy equipment
- Determine requirements for treatment; type, method and duration of therapy based on physicians' orders