Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a School Nurse is $48,550
What is the Pay by Experience Level for School Nurses?
An early career School Nurse with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $46,526 based on 28 salaries. A mid-career School Nurse with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $49,096 based on 18 salaries. An experienced School Nurse with …Read more
What Do School Nurses Do?
School nurses are responsible for addressing students' health problems, and the position has also grown to include educating students about health risks and designing programs to address these concerns head-on.
School nurses are, first and foremost, fully-qualified nurses. As such, a bachelor’s degree in registered nursing is generally required by employers, as is a registered nursing license, and certain states expect certification from that state’s department of education. Although nursing …Read more
- Interact with students to identify problems and interventions.
- Communicate with families, the government and school administration.
- Update and maintain student records and inventory.
- Work with students and families on preventative and ongoing care for chronic conditions.
- Respond to health emergencies, performing CPR or other immediate care.