Senior Dentist Salary
A Senior Dentist earns an average salary of $149,451 per year.
Job Description for Senior Dentist
Senior dentists are responsible for performing general check-ups and dentistry for patients. As senior dentists, they have much more work experience than regular dentists, and often perform root canals and other minor surgical procedures, as well as fill cavities, extract teeth, and place crowns. They often supervise other dentists, as well.Read More...
Because this is a senior position, these dentists must have leadership and management skills in order to guide younger dentists and assistants. They must be able to work independently with no supervision as well as in a team environment, and generally give advice to patients about how care for their teeth to prevent future problems. They must be patient and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as good bedside manner so that patients feel comfortable. They may also conduct performance evaluation reviews on other dentists, review their completed work assignments, and provide feedback in a timely manner; they also evaluate younger dentists’ work techniques.
Employers require that senior dentists have many years of experience as dentists, a doctoral degree, and relevant licensing in their state of employment, as well as CPR certification. Some may keep their skills up-to-date by reading professional journals and attending special classes relevant to new technology in dentistry. (Copyright 2017 PayScale.com)
Senior Dentist Tasks
- Administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures.
- Provides mentoring and training to less experienced dentists and staff.
- Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth, gums and related oral structures, and provide preventive and corrective services.
- Advise and instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, and oral health care services.
- Examine teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, and other diagnostic equipment.
Senior Dentist Job Listings
Key Stats for Senior Dentist